The overpowering smell of the durian comes from propanethiol, ethyl ester of alpha methyl butyrate, as well as a series of other compounds.
Calorie in durian is fairly high; in 100 grams of the flesh, there're 150 kilocalories, equivalent of three apples. It also contains protein, carbohydrate, calcium, phosphorus, carotene, potassium, sodium, iron, vitamin C, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin, arginine, as well as a number of phytochemicals.
The fat is unsaturated while the amino acids could be considered to be complete.
A significant nitrogen in durian is derived from amino acids necessary for the formation of proteins. The amino acids, such as cysteine and methionine, are helpful for hair and nail growth. Meanwhile, the only methionine helps to improve liver and kidney function.
Lysine, leucine, and isoleucine in durian can help the absorption of calcium, thereby optimizing the growth, repairing muscle tissue, and improving alertness.
Empirically, the durian is a cure for rheumatism. That says, if you suffer from rheumatism, the pain is diminished after eating durian. Perhaps, this is because durian contains valine and proline that can improve the function of joints and tendons and help the healing of wounds.
Durian also contains malic acid which can help the process of digestion smooth.
Here're what to look out:
1. If you're with hypertension, need to be careful with this durian as the alcohol, phosphorus, and sodium are high, but the potassium is low, thereby increasing blood pressure.
2. Eat durian not with alcohol because it'd cause discomfort.
3. Calcium and iron in durian are high enough to cause constipation. In fact, actually, durian contains enough fiber to launch bowel movement.
4. If you intend to lose weight, need to be careful because the calorie of the durian is quite high.
5. A quite high sugar in the durian also needs to watch out if you're with diabetes.
6. Too much eating durian can cause the body to feel weak, diarrhea, and nausea because of the arginine.
7. Before and after eating durian should you drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration.
So, watch for fans of durian. You deserve not the sweet by eating sparingly, that won't taste of the sour by having to deal with the disease afterwards.
You may also like:
Field Guide to Produce
The Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen
Raw Food for Dummies
Southeast Asian Flavors